GRADE 1 – September
Assalam-o-Alaikum Grade 1 Parents ! I hope that you all had an enjoyable summer. I am delighted to welcome your child into our Grade One class at AlHuda Elementary School. It promises to be a wonderful experience for all of us as we begin our new school year together. There are many exciting things ahead of us this year, and I am anxious to get started. Our classroom will be a nurturing environment for all the students so they feel comfortable taking risks. Our classroom is a community, and I know we can all work together so everyone can learn. I’m looking forward to another “ONE”DERFUL year in grade one.
A Brief Overview Of Rules And Procedures
- Arrival & Dismissal : Students are required to arrive at school no later than 8:45 a.m. It is very important that your child comes to school on time so that class can begin promptly. If students arrive after this time, they will have to go the office. Children should not be accompanied to their classrooms by their parents. Students will be dismissed at 3:20 p.m. If you are later than 3:30 p.m., your child will be waiting for you in the office.
- Early Dismissal : There will be early dismissals on Fridays this year at 2:15 p.m. Please make sure that you do not forget to pick your child up on time!
- Homework : Your child will have homework four nights a week ( Monday to Thursday ). Occasionally, there will also be projects assigned that will accompany our Reading ,Writing , Math , Science and Social Studies units.
- Reading at Home : Without question, the single most important thing you can do is to set aside 15-20 minutes daily to listen to your child read, read with your child, or read to your child ! Your child will be doing an enormous amount of reading in classroom, but it is necessary to keep it going at home.
- Assessments : Students will be assessed regularly throughout the year for all the subjects through informal tests, in class projects and activities to determine their understanding of the unit being taught.
This Month In Focus
- Reading : Making text to text, text to self and text to world connections
- Writing: Learning about the Writing Process and introduction to the “Writer’s Workshop”
Sorting and Patterning
Rules and Responsibilities
Introduce ourselves and get to know others through Arabic conversations, use introductory questions with peers and cover the pronoun This (male/female)
Memorize Surah Al-Fajr and learn the Arabic Alphabets, their sounds and Makhaarij
- Bismillah and its importance
- Saying salam
- Please ensure that your child brings an indoor and an outdoor pair of shoes
- Make sure to send a reusable water bottle with your child
- Please make sure that you read your child’s agenda daily for important notes and reminders
- Please send healthy snacks and lunches with your child. Nutella sandwiches are not allowed
- Please help us by sending in paper towels, tissue boxes, lysol wipes and hand sanitizers for use in class
- Toys are not allowed in class as they usually get lost or broken